What Documents Do I Need?

In order to travel overseas, you’ll need a Real ID and a passport.

Real ID

Beginning October 1, 2020, every air traveler 18 years of age and older will need a REAL ID-compliant driver’s license, or state-issued enhanced driver’s license in order to fly in the United States.

Get your REAL ID at a local BMV. More information can be found on the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) site.


Even if you have a valid passport, you’ll need to make sure it doesn’t expire before May 26, 2021. Most countries require that your passport be valid for six (6) months after your return date (October 26, 2020). Learn more about renewing or applying for a passport.

How Long Will It Take?

You’ll need to allow up to six (6) weeks for the passport application to be processed, no later than September 2, 2020. If you need the passport faster than that, use the expedited service for an extra fee and receive your passport in two (2) to three (3) weeks. Private expediting services can get it done more quickly, but they charge much higher fees.

If you do not already have a passport:  DO NOT WAIT! Sometimes it can take several months to get this once you get all the required documents turned in.

When Traveling…

Due to the criticality of these documents, photocopy the information page of your passport and the visa page(s) for your destination(s). Pack them separately from your passport.

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest

Leave a Reply